Sunday, April 3, 2011

Art and Fish Tacos

    It has been a busy week.  Painting, drawing, taking pictures, eating healthy, working out, practical jokes from Denmark, and what have I learned?  Well, I am no Michelangelo or Margaret Burkwhite that’s for sure. But I did the best that I can.
    First, lets talk about photography and who I admire as a photographer. Who else then Ansel Adams.  A pioneer in the photography field taking famous pictures of the west.  Mostly spending time in the national parks such as Yosemite  and the Grand Tetons taking pictures of mountain scenes that are as aw inspiring as being there in person and seeing the massive giants themselves.  He also took pictures of southwest Indians and some pictures for research done by scientist.  His work is different from anyone else of that era not just because he hiked to remote locations carrying heavy camera equipment  and sat for hours waiting to get that one amazing shot but because he developed a zone system as a way to determine proper exposure and contrast of the final print.  Of course the reason I like him isn’t just because his pictures are of mountains or because he is an environmentalist( at least he was before he died in 1984) but also because he had a beard and looked like a mountain man.
    Painting. Well since I was inspired by a photographer of mountains why not be inspired by someone who painted them. I looked towards none other then the afro wearing, beard having, happy little tree painting Bob Ross.   His inspiration came from the mountains of Alaska which he got to look at plenty when he was stationed there in the air force.  Yes that’s right he was service man.  Just like his neighbor on PBS, Mr. Rogers, who also spent time with the armed forces.   Bob actually quit the AF when he realized he made more money selling his paintings than being in the AF.  He used a quick technique called wet-on-wet oil technique which allowed him to keep painting without having to wait for anything to dry.  Sadly the gentle man died in 1995 from lymphoma.
    Then there is drawing. I didn’t necessarily find someone who drew mountains or nature scenes to inspire me although I very could have, no I chose to simply take some advice and start with a sharpie and white piece of paper. Thanks again Fleegan.  But I did however stick to a nature theme.
    So without further a due, here is what I did this week;



My drawings.
Not sure where this idea came from just a doodle. Only non-nature art I did.
 
Just a nature design with the bear prints, rain drops, feathers, flower and stars.

Definitely no Bob Ross but a first time attempt at painting.  Yes it is a lone mountain in the woods.

Well I didn’t have mountains to take photos of  but I did have a lot of birds and squirrels.
        With the photos and even the drawings I was able to simply put them on the computer and tweak them so that they look even better.  Adams and Ross however, didn’t have this capability or even needed it to make there art so detailed and incredible.
    Lastly my challenge or should I say challenges for next week.  First one is going to more of a long term challenge.  Fish tacos.  I am setting my sights on finding the best fish tacos in Columbus because my dear fiance needs some good fish tacos. So if you have a suggestion or idea where to go let me know. Along with finding fish tacos I’ll keep up with healthy eating and working out.  I’m heading to Kickapoo State Park(there really is a place called Kickapoo) on Saturday to mountain bike, so my workout plan is to ride everyday this week.  Also, I’m gong to read a book. Yep, you got it, I’m going to read a book. A whole book. Not a twenty page kids book but a real book. I’ll let you know how it goes.  So until next week, take care and have a happy little day.


“True photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.”

                                    -Ansel Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment