Monday, May 14, 2012

The owl and fox

            This past weekend I went on a walk with Penny the pup and as we were coming back we were trekking down a road that runs along the bottom of a ravine with woods on each side and a creek running along side.  As we came around a turn there was a man with binoculars staring into the trees, “just another bird watcher,” I thought to myself as we trotted past him seemingly unnoticed. A few hundred yards later as we are rounding another curve there was a red fox standing in the middle of the road. He was an adult fox, you could tell by his stature with a light reddish, tan coat, presumably his summer coat coming through because of the warm weather.  Just as Penny and I spotted him he found us and darted into the woods.  We walked slowly up to where he entered the woods and found him crouched by a tree about fifty yards up a slight hill, he seemed to be waiting on us, or at least Penny. As I watched him and did what anyone else would do, fumbled with my phone to attempt to get a picture, he just stood there like a statue never taking his eyes off us.  I finally decided to leave the fox alone and started back on our journey home.  I, for some reason, decided to look back and there he was again in the road, about hundred yards behind us and again, like a tourist, I froze and fumble to get my phone out. Of course instead doing what I should have done, which was pause and stay still, I slowly moved closer to him and, of course, he did what he knows is best and darted back into the woods.  Right about the time he reentered the woods, the bird watcher showed up.  I knew he would be intrigued by my finding so I proceeded to tell him the story and before I could finish he was spurting out about a family of owls that have been living in the area for a better part of forty years.  After he looked for the fox in the woods for a minute without success, he led me to the place of our first encounter where he pointed out a barred owl sitting on a branch looking at us.  He lent me his binoculars so I could get a better look, and he was a beautiful creature.  He was tall and plump, I assumed it was older and looked well fed.  The bird guy told me more about the owls and their habitat and that they have thrived on the small rodents and amphibians in and around the roadside creek.  He asked me a few questions about the fox, and we chatted about the areas wildlife for a quick minute before parting ways and Penny and I headed home. 
            I do quite a bit outdoors hiking, biking, kayaking, climbing, basically anything that will get me outside, so I do get to see wildlife but most of the time it’s the typical rabbits, squirrels, songbirds, etc. so when I get to come across animals that are not as commonly seen I take it as a sign, omen, happy coincidence, whatever you want to call it, and I think that something good will happen that day or the day in its entirety will be a good day, as it was on Saturday after seeing the fox and owl.  The weather was amazing, I spent time with the wife and pup, we sat on the porch and soaked up the sun, we rode our bikes, we ate a great dinner, it was all around a good day.  There have been a handful of encounters with a majestic creature such as the owl and fox.  For instance, a few weeks ago I went mountain biking and it rained the whole way there, which is not a good sign because the rain makes the trail extremely muddy and can’t be ridden. As I got there the rain had let up and a few feet from the trail entrance I saw a wild pheasant and turkey within feet of each other, again they aren’t entirely uncommon animals to see especially in a state park but I saw both at basically the same time.  That trail was ride able and the day ended up being a great day.    
            I know what your thinking, “PJ, it’s been a month since your last post and that’s all I get, some story about an owl and a fox?”  Well, yea it is.  However, I also had been thinking about my challenges recently and I have more than one this week.  First, write more, easy enough. Second, I have had challenges that benefit me but what about others. So, I am challenging myself this week to do something for someone else, donate clothes, food, some good advice, or whatever, as long as it is something to benefit someone else. And third, learn something new this week.  Ok so learning something new may be something I have done before but it’s been a little while. So until next time (I have to stop saying week in case I end up going another month), get off the road, and enjoy it.

“There is pleasure in the pathless woods, there is rapture on the lonely shore, there is society, where none intrudes, by the deep sea, and music in its roar; I love not man the less, but Nature more…”                                              -Lord Byron
                                                                                        Childe Harold

No comments:

Post a Comment