Friday, August 23, 2013

Life's Lessons

         I have learned a couple of things in my life; first, never attempt to pee in a bottle while in a car, someone always ends up pissed on. Second, never go fly fishing in the dark or you’ll end be up the creek, literally, without a paddle or even a canoe for that matter. I attempted the latter yesterday and of course I failed. I picked a wide open spot just so I wouldn’t hang any trees but that wasn’t the reason for my failed attempt. I couldn’t see shit. Fly fishing relies on keeping an eye on your line/fly and I never once saw either after leaving the light of the car. Casting requires you to watch the line and obviously that didn’t work so I spent most of the time untangling it. Walking in a river in the dark was another challenge all together. I was constantly stumbling and falling over the big river rocks. Finally after an hour of slinging a stick hoping for a good cast, praying not to trip over the next big rock, and already soaking wet I decided to pack it in. Defeated but not broken I plan to make another trip in the dark, maybe after a few years when I have earned my black belt in fly fishing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment