Thursday, December 12, 2013

Run, Shoot, Write

So lately I have been running a lot. When I say a lot I mean a few times a week on the treadmill.  I didn’t even let thanksgiving stop me. As a matter of fact on turkey day I ran a 5K (3.1 miles). For my second 5k in my life I finish with a time of 23 minutes and nine seconds. Now that’s not a huge distance but for someone who doesn’t like to run, or I guess I should say someone who didn’t like to run, it’s a big distance. I really used to hate to run. Even in high school when I played sports I hated running and I was even a running back in football. After high school I avoided it at all cost which was pretty easy to do when you don’t play sports. And it’s only been in the past couple of months that I really started to run and I like it. Of course I used to hate writing too but now I have a blog. I didn’t say I was good at it, but I write and I run now. I must be getting old.
I have said before that living in the Midwest there ain’t much to look at when it comes to scenery, you almost have to search for it as opposed to places like out west where the mountains stick out like a sore thumb and the landscape just pops out in front of you. At least that’s what I have always thought but the truth is there is something here and it’s been right in front of me or above me. With this massive flat farm land surrounding there is so much open sky that it makes it impossible to miss. In fact I have been photographing it already (night photography) and not even thinking twice about it. Sun rises, sunsets, and night skies play a prominent role in so many inspiring photos and it truly does help to paint the picture.  Now obviously taking a picture of a clear blue sky in the middle of the day can be pretty, that isn’t the type of picture I’m after. I’m not looking for just another pretty picture, no, I need awe-inspiring, I need surreal, I need… another cup of coffee… ok I’m back. Where was I, oh yea I need the picture that will tell the story. Ok that may be a bit much, let’s just stick to a really good photo. Ansel Adams did a great job of keeping the sky in most of his landscape pictures, grant it he had massive mountains to help with the dramatizing of the photo but he had the sky. Adams used clear skies and cloudy, night and day, sun and moon. Usually the sky wasn’t the main focus of his work but it laid a beautiful backdrop for things like Half Dome, Saw Tooth, and McGown Peak.  He was able to use just enough to make it count but not too much to take over the picture. So that’s it that’s my challenge. Taking a sky focused photo or one that incorporates the sky perfectly. This won’t be a week-long challenge like I used to do this will be a longer sought after win. Which will take me awhile especially since it’s dipping down into the single digits outside right now?
So that’s what I got for you this week, nothing new really just me trying to take photos, trying to write something interesting, and trying to run. Until next time, mmmmmmmmmmmm coffee.


“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.”     -Ansel Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment