Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Chris and abandoned people

A good friend of mine, Chris, recently started a blog, http://whatisityousay.blogspot.com/, which I was happy about because I like hearing him talk especially the stories. I think it’s because he can be so detailed when he describes objects in his stories that you almost say to him, “ yea, I remember that place,” when in all actuality you have never been there.  Anyway, he wrote about his dream job which is a music producer/record label owner, providing the world with new and wonderful sounds. Well it got me thinking, what my dream job would be?  Over the years I have gone back and forth on what would be awesome to do for a living, super hero, doctor, racecar driver, and every other boys dream, but there is one job that has never escaped me as being one of the most extraordinary jobs.  I don’t know what to call it and it’s something that no one really thinks about but sees it every day.  There is a job where movie production companies pay a person to travel the globe searching for places to film movies.  Think about it, all expenses paid to where ever you want to go.  It could be just the next town over or across the globe.  You could be spending time on a beach in a paradise type-setting, strolling down the Great Wall of China, or creeping around corners of an abandoned town trying to avoid rats and tetanus.  Where ever you were or are going you know that even if you had seen that place a thousand times or if it was a new one to you, millions of people would get to see it when that movie hit the big screen. 
Talking about abandoned towns and dream jobs, another job I would be happy to do is free lance photographer.  Again, you would get to travel the globe taking pictures of whatever you wanted and selling them to magazines or to the public for them to decorate their houses or offices.   I am always looking at photographer’s web sites and blogs just to see what’s out there.  I have been really intrigued by photographs of abandon towns, amusement parks, buildings and even people.  “Abandoned people?”  Well kind of.   There have been a few sites where people take pictures of homeless people, a kind of socially abandoned person, someone people tend to avoid on the streets or struggle not to look at while you’re in your car and they’re standing there with a sign asking for help.   One name of photographer that sticks out is Lee Jeffries.  When looking at his photos of people, just like Chris’ stories, there is so much detail.  You can see not only the person but the emotion they have, pain, sorrow, regret, sometimes even happiness.   It’s compelling, surreal, amazing, and awe inspiring all at the same time.  Anyway all you have to do is Google Lee Jeffries and you will see what I’m talking about.
So, check out Chris’ blog and lee Jefferies, they may inspire you.  So until next time, Paul is the walrus.  

“You must do the thing you think you cannot do.”    -Eleanor Roosevelt

1 comment:

  1. Haha. I can be descriptive in my story telling. The funny thing is that I hate the useless information in a story and want to get right to the point without annoying anyone but it rarely happens like that. I appreciate the compliment!

    ReplyDelete