Friday, March 1, 2013

SPRING! Where are you?

            I know, I know, I know, I’ve been slackin’. What can I say, it was a lazy February. Fighting the weather and trying to make it to the spring is what I did. February is that dreadful month of winter that nobody looks forward to. December is the beginning and everyone is too pumped for the holidays to pay attention to the weather. After the holidays in January when we start watching the weather and we get some good snow storms it looks so nice and white and smooth outside. But then February comes and you’re sick of those wet, cold dreary days. It seems the sun shines less in February than any other month. Maybe because it’s only 28 days (29 every four years) or it’s just me. The days are short and the nights are long. Occasionally you’ll get a little sun and maybe, just maybe if your lucky like we were this year, have a few warmer days that gives you that boost to make it through the rest of the month with the thought that spring is coming. At the beginning of the month of February we get the news from an oversized rodent that there will either be more winter or an early spring. I realize it’s a bit of tradition and some people get into that and some even believe Ol’ Punxsutawney Phil can predict the coming of spring or lack there of, so I’ll leave that one alone. Today is the first day of March, technically not spring for another three weeks this morning reminded me that it is near. It was still a chili morning but not like it has been and the air kind of gave off the slightest hint of spring. The birds were chirping and there is no snow on the ground, although it is still saturated from the mixed weather of the past weeks. The same with every spring I start to plan my outdoor adventures hiking, biking, camping, climbing, and anything else I can find to get my self outside. Amber and I head south next week to the “Heart of Dixie” or Alabama if you didn’t know, to visit my sister. I plan to hit up the boulders on top of Lookout Mountain again this trip and since I got my new fancy camera I’m excited to get some good shots. I hope to beat the sun up there so I can try to get some descent pictures of the sunrise before I start climbing around. Maybe even make a trip over to Noccalula Falls (90 ft. waterfall down the road) and get some shots over there. Other than that I have no major plans, yet, to make it outside. If we get a nice weekend I might dust the wheels off and take my mountain bike for its first ride of the season or dust the paddles off and take my kayak out. It hasn’t hit the water in at least 2 years. Maybe I’ll just strap the back pack on and head into the woods for an overnighter hiking trip. Whatever I do, I’ll be getting outside more often this month, depending on the weather of course. So until next time, is it spring yet?


“I ain’t got nothin’ but the breeze on my face and that’d be all I need”      -Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment