Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Bourbon

Let’s talk bourbon. More specifically, maker’s mark Kentucky straight bourbon whisky. As you know from my last post I received a bottle for my birthday. Now (and I’m reading out loud as I write in a Kentucky accent) I’m no whisky drinker on a regular basis but I have been interested in getting more into it recently, hence the reason for the bottle as a gift, not because I’m a raging alcoholic. Back to the bourbon, I have read only a few things on how to drink it because, well, it’s a drink, how hard could it be. Much to my knowledge there is a lot that goes into a good whisky from the distilling process to aging to drinking. The distilling process makes no matter (Kentucky accent) to me because I ain’t makin’ it, I’m drankin’ it. What I have read is the true way to drink it is more of a relaxed  sip rather than a shot at the bar like I have in the past. What I learned is the proper way  to drink it is neat, which means straight out of the bottle room temp into a glass, no ice. Or you can be a little bit of a wuss and drink it with a side of ice water or a tiny splash in your drink. If you ad ice, on the rocks, that is apparently a huge no-no for true bourbon fans and that goes for all whisky no matter where its from Kentucky, Tennessee, Canada, Ireland or Scotland which is called scotch (we’ll get to that bottle later). Well I took the low road and added an ice cube because, well, I’m no whisky drinker, at least not yet. I opened the bottle and took a huge whiff and was surprised. I expected a burn just as I sniffed but instead was met by a sweet, smoky, oak aroma as they described in the ads. The smell was majestic, marvelous, manly. I wish my house smelled of it. I smiled as I poured what some would call a two finger amount added an ice cube and stared at it for what seemed an eternity. The color was a crystal clear amber. Have you ever seen the first Jurassic Park, when the old man looks at his cane with the piece of amber and the mosquito stuck in it? Yea, it was like that except in a liquid form. Speaking of Jurassic Park, there is a fourth one coming out soon. Speaking more of Jurassic park, that old man looked kind of like Colonel Sanders who was from Kentucky and I bet the Colonel drank bourbon. Actually the actor who played the old man is from Scotland so I bet he drinks scotch. Ok back the glass in hand, I was ready for my first sip. I took another sniff but this time from the glass, same aroma a little less strong, I was getting excited. I took a tiny sip and it hit my lips with a slight burn but smooth going down then a lingering burn. “Not bad,” I thought. I went for my second after a few minutes, again, a small sip with the same result but a little less burn this time. Then my third a little later but this time a bigger sip no burn and only a slight tingle to the lips. That was the way to go. Not a gulp but a normal, man size sip. Smooth, oaky, slightly sweet, the right amount of all. The last few went the same way, almost perfect. It was a good start to my whisky… challenge? Yea I said it. It’s been a while since I did one of them there challenges and I am over due. Broaden my cocktail horizons challenges. As I continue with the Makers Mark I’ll fill you in and then it will come scotch time something I’m really looking forward to. For now I’ll finish this glass and until next time… raise your glasses to whisky.

2 comments:

  1. This is a good challenge. I have been doing the same thing and makers mark is now my favorite. I have tried Blanton's, Jamison 12 year, Gentlemen Jack, and Maker's. I always go back to Maker's and it is better without ice. I prefer the bourbon to the scotch for sure. Good luck on your trials. I am interested to see what your favorite brand/type is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited to try out some others. Any suggestions or ones I should shy away from?

    ReplyDelete