Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Keep Calm and Carry On

I have noticed an increase in popularity in the phrase, “Keep calm and…” usually finished off with something like “…Chive on” (a website name) or “…drink coffee” but I wasn’t sure, until yesterday, the origin of it. The original phrase “Keep Calm and Carry On” topped with the Tudor Crown (also known as the King’s Crown or Imperial Crown) was a motivational poster produced by the Brits in 1939 as they were gearing up for the second World War. And just today, I met a lady with a calendar book with the exact phrase on the cover which begged me to strike up a conversation about the phrase. The kicker, she was British. Needless to say she was impressed with the little knowledge I had of her countries war-time the slogan and crown. 


No comments:

Post a Comment