Friday, November 30, 2012

Purple Passion Flower loves Jesus

Now I was born in Gadsden, Alabama and Amber was born in Greeneville, Tennessee, yes we are a southern born couple but we didn’t meet until after we became transplanted Yankees. However, we both lived in the south long enough for us  to learn that there is two things you (as a southerner) love more than anything else; Bar-B-Q and Jesus. You can’t walk down the street without seeing at least five churches and six BBQ joints, more or less given the street you’re on. Well we were reminded of this again when we met my sister in Gatlinburg a few weeks ago and we three came up with a few comments about a BBQ joint called Christ BBQ or Jesus’ BBQ Chapel or something of the sort, you get the idea. Today I was thumbing through Fleegan’s pictures ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/fleegan/  ) and I came across this picture that Fleegan has taken;


http://www.flickr.com/photos/fleegan/7774177028/in/photostream

In the comment sections she states that she had looked it up and found that it is called a purple passion flower. Curious to know more of these Martian looking flowers I looked it up and in the description I found this;

“This unusual flower is widely distributed in the Southeast, especially from Florida to Texas. The plants were given the name Passionflower or Passion vine because the floral parts were once said to represent aspects of the Christian crucifixion story, sometimes referred to as the Passion. The 10 petal-like parts represent Jesus’ disciples, excluding Peter and Judas; the 5 stamens the wounds Jesus received; the knob-like stigmas the nails; the fringe the crown of thorns.”

Whoa! Even the plants in the south love Jesus. I wonder if there is a BBQ plant?

Oh, quick note; Fleegan is my god sister that I grew up with in Alabama along with her brother Justin and my sister Kelly. All of us kids spent plenty of time together but more to come on that in future post.

For more of Fleegan check her site out http://fleegan.com/. All credit to fleegan and her aweome pictures.

2 comments:

  1. Aw, PJ. Heh, you left out where I originally thought the flower was from.
    One of my coworkers grew up an hour south of Gadsden in the country (To this day, there's STILL nothing there.) and she said when she was a kid, during the summer those flowers were their toys. They were poor. I told her she always has the saddest stories about growing up and she says, "Yeah, but we didn't know it at the time."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right! I meant to pu that in there, it was one of my favorites parts of your description. Aw, to be a kid again where nothing, not even money, mattered to you and anything was a joy to play with.

      Delete