Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Thanksgiving and Wooden Boats

 I made it through Thanksgiving without dying of overeating and I had a wonderful time as I usually do with the family. We ate lunch with the in-laws at an old inn called Shaw Inn in Lancaster, Ohio then moved onto dinner with my family at their house. Everyone ate too much, of course, took some pictures, chatted about life and what we were thankful for, you know all the typical Thanksgiving day mumbo jumbo.
 Recently my dad has picked up working on old boat motors for people, getting them running or just giving them a tune up or maybe just cleaning them up a bit. Well a few weeks ago he was asked to take a look at an old motor, a 1957 Evinrude 35 to be exact. Being the man he is, he accepted the challenge and went to pick up the motor but ended up bringing home not just the motor but the boat as well. Now he had told me about the boat which I didn’t think too much of until I saw it when I was there for the holiday. The boat, a year older than the motor, is a Lyman wood boat, built in Sandusky Ohio. Now it isn’t pretty by any means, not shiny or smooth, but it is solid. Definitely needs to be refinished. It’s one of those boats you see in movies with the flag waving off the bow, simple colors like red, blue, white, or just a dark wood color like mahogany. Just a classic style, good looking boat, at least it will be after someone cleans it up. I’ve seen wood boats on television or the computer before and I think they are neat but never thought too much about them beyond that. That was until I saw this one up close. I couldn’t stop looking at this boat I even took a ton of pictures of it.  I spent maybe a total of two hours all together admiring this machine. I would envision how it would look all clean and refinished sitting in the water on a cool fall day with the trees on the bank in the background changing colors. I could just see it. Even better it was built here in the United States, a few hours from where I live today. It was a solid, sturdy boat when it was new and still just as solid today, even after it had been sitting in the barn for however long. Plus it is almost sixty years old. It was built to last. They don’t make them like that anymore.
I haven’t had much time to think of a challenge as I have been busy with work, the holidays and I’m still finishing up with the NCAA  men’s soccer tournament so my challenges have been a little slack but hey, I’m a busy guy. Oh, on top of everything else I have about 75lbs of pecans to shell, that’s my challenge, get those done. I’m working on something that I’ll have to tell you about later. So unfortunately that’s it for now, until next time, happy happy happy.
“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
   -Winston Churchill

No comments:

Post a Comment