Sunday, June 12, 2011

Walking

    Well the past two weeks didn’t amount to much as far as exercise goes or eating healthy for that matter either. I did try to eat a little less at mealtime so hopefully that helps some.  I also rode my bike on the bike path, not to work because it was Sunday, but I did ride it to my office building, well I was a block short but almost.  It was blazing hot and I was dripping with sweat when I got done. There and back was a total of about 8 miles.  Let me just say that I am out of shape.  I was passed by everyone on the path and they weren’t breathing hard or look like they were even trying. I kept hearing from behind me, “on your left” then I would be passed.  Most of the people weren’t young people either.  At one point I’m pretty sure there was an eighty year old that passed me. 
    Aside from not getting much exercise I did spend some time outside, walking mostly.  Yesterday I walked down to the local bike shop to pick up a part and on the way there I realized something, I hardly look straight ahead when I walk. I look at trees, buildings, cars, and people.  I notice that a lot of people don’t look around.  They look straight with a look on their face of determination of getting where they need to go.  I just want to tell them to look around.  Take it all in, enjoy your surroundings. It was a beautiful day no need to stare at nothing but a distant finish line.  Makes me wonder how terrible I would be as a marathon runner.  Always getting side tracked I would probably miss a turn and get lost, never finishing the race.
    Multiple men’s magazines  come out each month with articles giving advice on what it takes to be a man or things every man should know one even has an add for a cookbook called “How to Eat Like a Man,” and with Father’s Day around the bend I figured I would talk about being man.  What better person to represent being a man than my dad.  He is a stern, strong tempered man at times and loving and caring the other times.  He never tells me, “men eat this” or “every man should know that,” but he did teach me how to be a man without me ever knowing that he was teaching me. He taught me baseball and how work on cars.  He taught me that you do whatever it takes to support your family and give them the life they deserve.  He worked countless hours to provide for the fam.  He never pushes me one way or the other but nudges me the way he knows I want to go then supports me the rest of the way.  He gave me the opportunity to be the person I wanted to be.  He is strong, courageous and compassionate all at the same time.  He never cries or shows weakness even though those emotions did exist in him.   He is the greatest man I have or will ever know, he is my dad, he is my hero,  he is a man.  I hope some day I am as great of a man as him.  Thank you dad.
     This week my challenge is to spend an hour outside every day.  Hopefully I will be getting some exercise.  So until next week, look around, take it all in and enjoy your surroundings.


“Never knock on death’s door: ring the bell and run away Death really hates that.”                                                           -Matt Frewer
      

No comments:

Post a Comment