Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Danish and free...

Hei mit navn er PJ.  Hvor er pubben?  Til Bat mobile!  Jeg vil ride min cykel jer.  Jeg kan drikke sig fald.  Jeg er beruset. 

Translation:
Hello, my name is PJ.  Where is the pub?  To the Bat mobile! I’m going to ride my bike there.  I may get drunk. I am drunk.

            Well that’s what I learned of the Danish language and if you are Danish and read that I apologize if it was incorrect.  I know it isn’t much but a few stupid comments and if you see me on the street don’t ask me how to say them because learning Danish from Google Translate isn’t as easy as it sounds.  Good thing I don’t have the money to get to Denmark because when I got there I couldn’t talk to anyone. 
            Speaking of no money, I came up with a topic this week to write about. Free things to do maybe even a few free objects you can get.  What brought me to this?  Well this past Friday I spent the day with my dad at the National Air force Museum in Dayton, Ohio.  Let me just say, it was awesome!  The museum was comprised of three huge hangers with hundreds of planes. Some were reproductions; some were restored planes, out of service planes, even prototype planes.  They had planes from 1909 up until the most recent F-22 Raptor (fighter jet).  Big planes, small planes, planes from Germany, Japan, USA, even two from Canada. There was a B-52 and a B-36 that were both almost the size of a football field.  Dad’s favorite the P-38 Lightening.  One of the first planes you see when you walk in is the Buckscar, the plane that dropped the bomb on Hiroshima.  Needless to say there were a ton of planes and I can’t wait to go again.  Oh and why does that make me think of free stuff, because admission is free.  That’s right a free museum.  After visiting the museum, we went to the Freedom’s Pride Military Tattoo.   The original meaning of military tattoo is a military drum performance, but nowadays it sometimes means army displays more generally.  Since it was next to the air force museum it was an military display of planes.  Oh and it was free.  So we got to sit and watch military planes fly over, with a beer (not free) in hand.
            So, even if you don’t live close to Dayton, Ohio and can’t make it to that museum there are other free things to do out there. I went to Columbus, Ohio’s city website and clicked on the event calendar.  There I sorted the events out by free admission and it came up with 342 events for music, film, festivals, art, and other events.  Like this Friday is RED, White, and Boom, Columbus’ fire work show.  Its free as long as you can find a park.  I’m sure your city website will have the same. 
            Outdoor activities are almost always free such as hiking, climbing, and biking.  I mean aside from the gear you have to buy, it’s free.  Going to the park and walking around or sitting on a bench and watch the people.  Some state parks have lakes that offer a beach, if you don’t mind a bit of a crowd on the weekend you can get a swim in. 
            Also, for you star gazers, check out any local observatories.  Perkins Observatory in Delaware, Ohio, which is on Ohio Wesleyan university campus, has some free nights that you can go and enjoy learning a little about the cosmos.   Some colleges have free admission to there own museums so you can get an idea of that colleges’ history.
            As far as free stuff goes, simple, type in free stuff on the internet and you will get millions of links to get a free sample here and a free sample there.  Giant eagle market place in upper Arlington Ohio has what’s called Foodie Fridays where they have countless free sample booths.  You could actually get full just walking around trying all the samples.    So needless to say, there are freebies out there you just have to look for them. 
My challenge this week is have free night, even though I did it last Friday.  Even if something un-free comes up I will still plan out a free night to save for a later date. Just to add a little more to that challenge I am going to plan a week as cheaply as possible.  That will include not just activities but groceries too.  Just to see how cheap one could live.   So until next week, keep your stick on the ice.


“Owl you need is love.”     -Kelly’s necklace

No comments:

Post a Comment