Saturday, June 18, 2011

Denmark...again

   
            Aww the Danish.  Good ‘ol Denmark, always there to surprise you. A year ago if someone mentioned Denmark I wouldn’t have thought twice about it.  Now, on the other hand, I am completely fascinated by the small country. As you know from my previous blogs it is officially the Kingdom of Denmark, the happiest place on earth (Denmark and baking soda post), and one of the best photos ever has was taken over there(April Fools post), but recently, I have stumbled upon new highlights of Denmark
Did you know they have one of the worlds largest off shore wind farms?  A wind, farm per, wiki is “a group of wind turbines (massive wind mills) in the same location used to produce electric power.”  Horns Rev II (off the western coast of Denmark) is the second largest off shore wind farm in the world, second to Thanet Offshore Wind Project off the coast of UK.  Who knew that the Danish where so eco friendly. 
            Not only does Denmark produce super wind farms but they also produce super cars.  The Zenvo ST1 has a 7.0 liter V8 producing over 1100 horsepower.  What!?! You can’t be the happiest place on earth and have slow cars. Hell no.  You have to have a car that, because of safety and legal reasons, is electronically restricted to only go 232mph.  Why not produce such a car in a country that is just over 16,600 square miles (slightly larger than the state of Maryland).  I know what your thinking, “where can I get one and how much?”  Well unfortunately only 15 are being made and as for price a measly $1.2 million will get you in this steel cage wrapped in carbon fiber.  Better yet you won’t even have to go to Denmark to pick it up. It will be sold in the U.S. by Red Sea Distribution.  Better sign up on the waiting list.
            Aside from massive wind farms and super cars the country is beautiful.  There are massive castles, green rolling hills, beaches, and Copenhagen.  The capital and largest city of Denmark it is consider one of the most environmentally friendly cities in the world.  Of the 1.9 million people living in Copenhagen 36% commute to work on a bicycle.  Even the water in the inner harbor is so clean you can swim in it.  Considered a boom town it is ranked 10th most expensive city thanks to the wave of successful designers, architects and chefs.  Way to go Denmark.  Way to be an example of an awesome country. 
             On top of all these recent dicoveries, my blog page allows me to see where people are viewing my blog around the world, and yes I have one viewer in Denmark.  Awesome.  
            Needless to say, Denmark is by far one of my favorite places even though I have never been.  I will go someday and I will celebrate their awesomeness with them at a pub with a local brew. Until then I will marvel in their glory or until I am distracted by something else. 
           So, all this talk of Denmark got me thinking, “What’s a good challenge for me this week that has to do with Denmark? Got it!”  My challenge this week, learn some Danish.  I’m not talking the whole vocabulary, just a few common and simple phrases.  Oh, and for my challenge this past week, I spent time outside everyday walking, riding, and sitting on the porch.  So, until next week, være fremragende til hinanden (Danish for "be excellent to each other”, from Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure). 

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.” 
-Thomas Edison

1 comment:

  1. I am down for that Denmark trip. Just need a passport and a couple phrases for myself. As usual, good work on the insight and information. I think that Denmark would appreciate your dedication and admiration.

    ReplyDelete